Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Autumn, Kaufmann Hall

I've been on a Tom Petty kick for awhile. Maybe it was because I saw him in concert in June and was all aflutter about Conversations with Tom Petty book and the anticipation of his new solo album next year. A part of me was beginning to feel he was overtaking Billy Joel as my #1 favorite in music. But after last night, I was pleasantly reminded why Billy Joel has been #1 in my mind for over 15 years.

Cheryl and I trekked to the upper reaches of the Upper East Side to the 92nd St Y and joined a room full of superfans for Billy Joel: Questions, Answers, & A Little Music. We were sitting 2 rows behind the Child Bride. She is quite striking in person and does look very young. Alas, I didn't get a look at the ring. The evening started off a little slow -- it began with Billy speaking with Rolling Stone writer Anthony DeCurtis, who looked so befuddled and asking really lame questions. The conversation went nowhere. It was a half hour later when it was just Billy on stage that the true fun began.

I've read, seen, heard countless interviews with Billy over the years, and most of the stories I was already familiar with. But he is such a stong storyteller and conversationalist, that much of what he said retained it's value, honesty and humor. Unfortunately, I did not get picked to ask my question, but it was fine. Aside from a few stupid questions and annoying people, the audience really engaged BIlly with good questions.

The highlight though was anytime he had his hands on the piano keys. He played the complete versions of my all-time top 2 Billy Joel songs, "Summer, Highland Falls" and "Miami 2017". Also played in its entirely: "Famous Last Words" (which he said was the first time he ever played it live), "Vienna" and the Beatles "A Day in the Life".

We also got to hear good chunks of "Laura", "Rosalinda's Eyes", "It's Still Rock & Roll To Me" (which in the middle of, realized had the same melody as Bob Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay" and segwayed into playing that -- in which I went into silent hysterics because that's my favorite Dylan song), "Tomorrow is Today", "Scandinavian Skies", "Lullaby" -- really delving into the vault. It was so incredible.

He did a little classical, and also paid homage to his influences, like Dylan, like the Beatles and the Stones. Cheryl and I were both struck my his amazing ear for pitch, melody, rhythm, tone. He plays "Like a Rolling Stone" as effortlessly as Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and picks up patterns between the various genres of music.

The man is also quite funny. He recounted selling his house to Jerry Seinfeld and meeting Bono at the Garden recently. When asked how married life was treating him, he jumped on his chair, a la Tom Cruise. A musical genius and wit to boot!

Billy also said this upcoming tour will feature a lot of album tracks that often get buried. I am so excited for the shows. Maybe I will finally hear "You're My Home" and "Captain Jack" live. *fingers crossed*

The three hours flew by. If anything, it made me wish that I could just have a few hours of his time and talk to him about music. He is a wealth of information and his passion for music is so evident. I had such an incredible time and hope I get to see him in this type of venue again before another nine years pass.

Thanks Billy!

Quote of the Day:
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." -Herb Caen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

slow down you crazy child, you're so ambitious for a juvenile...

lunchbox said...

but then if you're so smart, tell me why are you still so afraid? HhmmMMM?

Hooray Billy! Did he have any accompaniment for Summer Highland Falls?

Els said...

Nope, just Billy and the piano. Afterwards, he said the song was about manic depression.