Saturday, June 24, 2006

The True Love

I know most of you already think I have odd taste in men. This post will do nothing to change that. In fact, you will probably question it even more. David Letterman is "the Idol" . Steve Martin: "the Ideal Man". Cal Ripken: "the Hero". Matthew Perry: "The Future Husband". However, all these men, truth be told, don't hold a candle to the one who has been at the top of The Hierarchy all of these years. And after 18 years of total love and worship, today, June 24, 2006, I finally met him. He is none other than "The True Love", the Hot Rod himself, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper.



It started innocently enough. I began watching pro wrestling when I was 10 years old because I had a crush on a boy who watched it. The crush soon faded, but my love of watching did not. I loved the gimmicks and the toned bodies and the personalities. Randy Savage & Elizabeth, Ted DiBiase, Mr. Perfect, Jesse Ventura, Bobby Heenan, Jake Roberts, the Honky Tonk Man became became fixtures I couldn't get enough of. I was completely hooked. And then one day I saw Roddy Piper and my whole world changed.

Whatever that something is that creates love at first sight, Roddy had in spades. He was handsome, intelligent, articulate and funny. And to a pre-teen who was mad at everything and thought the world was against her, Roddy became the lone bright spot. He made me happy, and for that alone, I am forever indebted to him. It became my mission to learn everything I could about him. Weekends were spent at the video store renting videos of old matches. I collected everything I could, from magazines and books to t-shirts to action figures to miscellaneous stuff (him singing, a coloring book, collector coin, etc...), absorbing everything about him like a sponge. I sacrificed hours of my life watching straight-to-video movies like "Jungleground", "No Contest" and "Hell Comes to Frogtown" and D-list TV shows, "Walker, Texas Ranger", "Silk Stalkings" and "Robocop: the TV Series" among others, solely because he was in them. True love knows no bounds.

The years passed, and I developed other "admirations" and interests and watched wrestling less, especially since Roddy wasn't around as much. Yet when he makes a TV appearance I'll still make it a point to tune in. Hearing the bagpipes and seeing him smile never fail to light that spark of pure happiness. Since my teenage years, many loves have come and gone, but there's only one first True Love, and he will always have a special place in my heart because of that.

When I read that Roddy was going to be in New York at this comic book convention, I had mixed feelings. The 28-year old didn't want to be caught anywhere near this convention. But ultimately I had no choice but to go. I had to do it for the 10-year old. I owed it to my childhood.

I waited in line for a half hour or so. There were some scary costumed people, and grown men who cared about X-Men a little too much. And I can say with absolute certainty that I was the most attractive person there -- by far. It was extremely humid inside and between the heat and the rain, I was hoping I would have looked a little better (still though, the MOST attractive person there...).

Finally my turn came. I introduced myself, and the 10-year old in me completely took over. I gushed and thanked him for all the joy, happiness and inspiration he had brought me over the years. He was very nice and complementary. And not thinking it was even possible, more handsome in person. He gave me a kiss and a hug and then we took the above picture. Then Roddy Piper hugged me again. The 10-year old couldn't of asked for anything more.

I don't expect many of you to understand just how important this was for me. The best comparison I can think of is to just think of someone who is significant to you. And for a few moments, you know you matter to them. All I've ever wanted was to one day meet him and thank him. I feel so incredibly fortunate to have finally been able to do so.

Quote of the Day:
"Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions." -Roddy Piper

***

Below are some more pictures I took. Yes, that is Virgil and Captain Lou Albano. I felt kinda bad for them because while the Roddy line had a constant stream of people, their lines were painfully short. The Roddy line even overshadowed the Steven Seagal line. Thankfully, even the scary comic book people have some taste.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I came here tonight to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."

Anonymous said...

So when's the wedding, now that he's finally met you? :)

Els said...

Alas, he has been married for many years to a very, very lucky lady. He evens wears his wedding ring, that you can see in one of the pics.

He's so wonderful. *sigh*

Funkmeister said...

i still think you should use that photo and send out "save the date" cards!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'm a woman, lots older than you are, but totally with you in thinking that Piper is fantastic. I've also met him and he's competely amazing and brilliant, as you said.
I'm also glad to see that you have a nice career in TV, as I did for many years. It's never dull!
The only thing I have to differ with you is about the mean things you said about the other folks who attended the convention where you met Roddy. Though being the most attractive person there was obviously a big deal to you, without the fans -- whatever they might look like on the outside and how much it seems to bug you -- without fans there is no appreciation, no convention where you get to meet your idol, nothing. As somebody working in entertainment, I would recommend that you might want to extend a little more compassion and love to your fellow man. I mean, take a look at Roddy. I don't think his smile is any bigger because you're cute, or any less because somebody isn't similarly adorable. He has a big heart, and that's what makes him so appealing. Just a suggestion and something to think about....
But you are so right, Piper is terrific.