Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Isle of Staten

I have bravely made the voyage from the mainland to the Isle of Staten a couple of times. This was the maiden trip for my friends Erin and Er. Tonight was my latest venture, and I think it's suffice to say, my last for awhile.

My friend Rick's band, Heather Hates You, had a stop on their East Coast World Tour at this place called Dock St. We walk in, and there are kids with multi-colored mohawks and fatigues on with spikes moshing their hard-core brains out. Erin looks completely freaked out, especially when one of the upstanding young gentlemen mosh into her. I find Rick and yell hello to him. Thankfully he had extra ear plugs with him to drown out whatever horrible garage band was playing. And to prove they were real hardcore punk rock, invited the lot to his swimming pool. I bet his mom even made cookies and lemonade.

After sitting through them and one other band, Heather Hates You took to the stage. Rick channeled his inner Henry Rollins, minus the tattoos. They did well, in what will be the final performance I will see them in. The Heather Hates You farewell show is July 29th in East Weymouth. You can read all about them at http://www.heatherhatesyou.com.

Feeling a bit out of our elements, Erin, Er and I decided to leave as soon as HHY were done. Unfortunately, I really didn't get a chance to talk to Rick much, but was happy to be able to come out and support my friend in something he has devoted so much time and effort to. Thankfully, my car was still in the parking space with all of its parts intact and we drove away. Very fast. To anywhere but Staten Island.

Quote of the Day:
"Candy is a treat. Please consume in moderation." -Hershey Bar Wrapper

2 comments:

Funkmeister said...

ah, shao lin at it's finest!!!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have seen Erin there! :)