Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Catching Up

So much to talk about, so little free time...

Sarah & Paul's Wedding:

I headed down to Washington last weekend for my high school friend, Sarah's, wedding. The wedding was held at Ft. Meyer, an Army base adjacent to Arlington Cemetery once ran by Gen. Patton. It was a hot, muggy Washington day. The ceremony was at one and Sarah looked so beautiful. It was a brief ceremony. My friend Karen and I noticed Sarah's brother was nowhere to be seen. We found out afterwards that he was hospitalized that morning for appendicitis. That was theonly downer.

After the ceremony, we had 5 hours to kill before the reception. Karen, her boyfriend Ryan and I drove to nearby Georgetown and had lunch with Jenn at J Paul's and watched the World Cup. Sans Jenn, we then walked around some (Ryan had never been to DC before) and took a quick jaunt to Arlington Cemetery.

Since it was still super muggy, we only went to see JFK's grave. Here's the view of DC from the grave:



All around the cemetery, there are signs asking visitors to please have respect for the premises and to keep voices to a minimum. And around JFK's grave, there are bonus signs reading "SILENCE! RESPECT!". Apparently, one tourist was illiterate because from 30 yards away, she was yelling to a guard, "EXCUSE ME, EXCUSE ME GUARD??? WHERE IS THE WHITE CROSS?? THE WHITE CROSS??". The guard, looking mortified at the woman, put his finger to his mouth and asked her to speak in hushed tones. Her classy response, "Why do I have to be quiet? There's nothing but DEAD PEOPLE around here!" Personally, I think the woman should have been shot on sight, or at least fined $100. 50 feet away is the white cross, which denotes RFK's grave. Across from the grave is a little monument and reflecting pool. Despite signs asking visitors from touching the monuments, that didn't stop ANOTHER tourist from leaning on the monument, on her CELL PHONE, yelling, "I'm at the cemetery. *pause* The CEMETERY." Karen, Ryan and I were horrified by all of this. Such disrespect. This is why other countries hate us.

Finally, the reception came. We ate, we danced, we talked. Below are some pics from the event. The first is of Karen and I. Number 2 is of Sarah, Paul and I and number 3 is the WJ posse that attended the wedding:





Congrats Sarah & Paul!!!

Tom Petty #8

Voyage #8 to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at Madison Square Garden last night was exactly the same as voyage #7. The concert was more sing-a-long than the Virginia show. Tom played the exact set and wore the exact outfit. I was stupid and forgot to recharge the batteries on my camera to take any additional pictures. I just stood and danced and enjoyed the show. The new song "Square One" is really good. "Refugee" and "You Wreck Me" are two of my favorites.

I also bought a hooded jacket commemorating the 30th anniversary of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. Alas, there were no tour programs.

I Scream

I love my job. I've been there for a little over two weeks and in that time, have been given free ice cream 4 times. The first 3 came from Cold Stone Creamery ice cream cakes. Today was Tenant Appreciation Day in my building. In the lobby, we were given free Good Humor ice cream bars and a raffle to win an iPod or digital camera. Luck has been on my side so far. Let's just hope it continues.

Quote of the Day:
"Some people like my advice so much that they frame it upon the wall instead of using it." -Gordon R. Dickson.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to not use hoodie

Els said...

But it IS a hoodie!

Funkmeister said...

was it a 30 year old hoodie? you might want to get that washed