Friday, December 16, 2005

John Spencer

I am absolutely shocked, stunned and saddened to read of the passing of one of my favorite actors, John Spencer. He died earlier today of a heart attack at age 58.

He is best known for his Emmy-winning role of Leo McGarry on the West Wing, but I have been a fan of his for quite some time. I first became familiar with him during his stint as Tommy on LA Law. What made the characters of Tommy and Leo so great were the imperfections and struggles of them. He channeled his own battle with alcoholism and his reputation of being a workaholic into these roles. That real element always gave an extra spark to those roles which were extra layers to his already natural talent.

He had such an distinctive voice, effervescent charm and honest presence about him. I have always looked forward to seeing him on the screen, big or small. And yes, he was one of those older men that I found strangely attractive and he held one of the top places on the Hierarchy.

I will definitely miss him. A true loss for the entertainment community.

Quote of the Day:
"Redemption comes to those who wait / Forgiveness is the key." -Tom Petty, Lonesome Sundown

No comments: