Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sir Paul McCartney (Billy #23)

At Billy Joel's Last Play at Shea concert last year, I made a hearty squeal when he introduced Sir Paul McCartney to play "I Saw Her Standing There" and "Let It B'. So when it was announced that Sir Paul would be opening Citi Field with a series of concerts, I just knew I had to go.

Last night's show was amazing. I was on the field, about 15 rows back to the right. I was on the aisle and the people sitting directly to my left paid $100 more for their ticket. An Irish band called the Script opened and they were quite good. Sir Paul took to the stage a little before 9pm performing "Drive My Car". He sounded amazing and right off the bat, we all knew we were in for a great evening of music.

About 20 minutes in the rain started. Not about to pay $10 for a plastic poncho, I allowed myself to get drenched. But there was something oddly serene standing in the rain listening to Paul and a guitar and "Blackbird".

The rain kept on for most of the show, but stopped in time for "Live and Let Die", with an incredible fire and fireworks display.

But for me, the highlight was during the encore when Billy Joel was introduced to open Citi FIeld with Sir Paul and again played " I Saw Her Standing There". SuperHappyFunEllen briefly emerged and I was rockin' along.

All and all a two and a half hour show by one of the most important artists of my time. I felt so incredibly lucky to have been there.

Some pics from the show:








Quote of the Day:
"Everybody's gonna dance tonight / Everyone's gonna feel alright" -Sir Paul McCartney "Dance Tonight"

No comments: