Sunday, September 27, 2009

Random Thoughts & Ramblings

I have been gone for awhile. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. It's hard to believe another summer has come and gone. When I haven't been working (and thankfully I have been), I have been able to take advantage of some of the things the city has to offer. Let's recap....

* I was really pleased with the 10th anniversary edition of "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" in the primetime version. Regis was at his very Regis-y best. I did feel a tremendous sense of pride seeing my name in the credits. Soon after the shows aired, there was a reunion with the folks that have worked on the show during its tenure. It was a great time catching up with old friends and meeting new ones.

* I went to a book signing with one of my favorite character actors, Wallace Shawn, who is also an accomplished playwright. He recently published a book of essays, thoughtfully titled "Essays". He didn't seem too excited to be there, and halted Q&A at one point to read another essay. Granted they weren't top notch questions, but every answer was a rambling non-answer. Still, glad I went. Always nice to do something different.

* I caught a performance of the Broadway revival of Bye Bye Birdie, starring John Stamos and Gina Gershon. I am not a huge fan of fluffy musicals, which is what Bye Bye Birdie is. The redeeming factor was Bill Irwin who was absolutely amazing. He is such a fantastic actor and he made the show just a little more bearable.

* Got to see a screening on the new Matt Damon movie "The Informer!". Very good. Highly recommend.

* The Emmy Awards. Loved Neil Patrick Harris as host. Surprisingly liked giving awards out in genre. Disappointed Neil Patrick Harris and Jack McBrayer lost to Jon Cryer. And also disappointed Jim Parsons lost to Alec Baldwin, though I love 30 Rock. John Hodgman as announcer was another nice touch. Best dressed goes to Drew Barrymore and the actress who presented with Keifer Sutherland.

* Was reunited with Howard the Cat. Howard belongs to my former Boston roommate Rebecca. I ran into her not too long ago and was elated to hear Howard was still among us and not in Kitty Heaven. Soon after, I took a drive to the New Jersey suburbs and spent time with my favorite SnuggleBunny. I'd like to think the cat remembered me, but most likely, I smelled like food.

* A big Genius Switch congratulations to my friends Heather and Aaron on the birth of their first daughter, Madeline Eileen. Can't wait to meet the little one.

* Last week I was able to attend a taping of "Spectacle" at the Apollo Theatre. I had never been to the Apollo, so that in itself was exciting. Elvis Costello hosted John Prine, Lyle Lovett and Ray LaMontange. It was an incredible evening of music. A long night, but worth it to hear top musicans, with just a microphone and a guitar.

* Lots going on in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can remember to post before too much time passes.

Quote of the Day:
"A well-spent day brings happy sleep" -Leonardo da Vinci

No comments: