Monday, March 13, 2006

Peter Tomarken

I didn't have cable growing up. One of the few things I looked forward to visiting the family in New Hampshire was watching cable -- especially the USA Network. As a child, the USA network had everything I could possibly want in television. The Cartoon Express gave me Richie Rich, Shirt Tails and the Laff-A-Lympics. At night, it was WWF Prime Time Wrestling with Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon, doubling the amount of wrestling I usually only got on Saturday mornings at home. But the afternoon game shows were my favorite part of the day. I watched Sale of the Century (which, at 6 years old got most of the questions right), $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime, Jackpot and my most favorite game show of them all, Press Your Luck.

I cannot begin to describe the pure love I had for that game show. The lights of the big board, the schemes of the Whammies, the big red button -- everything about Press Your Luck was perfection. Another vital element to the show was the host, Peter Tomarken. He wore loud, plaid blazers with wide, striped ties. He read corny odes and limmericks to Whammies at the end of every show. Bottom line: Peter Tomarken was awesome.

Because of my fond memories of Press Your Luck and Peter Tomarken, it brought sincere sadness to read of his passing from a plane crash yesterday. He was 63 years old. His wife and another passenger were also killed. What brings even greater sadness, is that he was flying for a wonderful cause. Tomarken owned the plane and donated its use to Angel Flight West, which provides free transport for needy patients. The plane was en route to San Diego to pick up a passenger when it crashed. Early reports site engine trouble as the cause.

Reading the news, it always seems like the bad people outlive the good. It's not fair.

Quote of the Day:
"The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions." -Confucius

No comments: