Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Curling

I know this may come as a surprise to my post- high school friends, but once upon a time I was quite the athlete. I was a star on the soccer field, was a dominant competitor during Garrett Park Elementary's Field Day and was the Virginia-Maryland District Bowler of the Month November 1995.

Before 8th grade, there was an announcement that all after school sports were cancelled due to county budget cuts. I was saddened by this because I loved playing sports and being outdoors. I had been known for being a bundle of energy - wanting to be involved in absolutely everything.

By that second year of middle school, all that changed. I became a latch-key kid. It was during this time I started getting into soap operas. It became much easier to go directly home, turn on the TV, make a Mama Celeste pizza and get my homework done before the evening. The spark of laziness was lit.

Over time, it just became easier to be lazy and stay in the confines of the house. Any athletic ability I had had dwindled and that bundle of energy dissipated.

However, I had a bit of a reawakening on Friday, when I joined Beth and Frank at an open house for the only Olympic sport I actually watched, Curling. Yes, curling.

We drove to the center of entertainment Plainfield, NJ. We signed forms and had one shoe duck-taped. Then, we went onto the ice. We were given a very quick tutorial on how to release the stone. Then we got to take turns doing so. You can see my curling form in the photo below:




Unfortunately, due to the number of people who also wanted to experience the joys of curling, we were unable to sweep or do anything else. Regardless, I think it is a safe assumption that you will not be seeing me in Vancouver in 2010. But we did have fun and that's the most important thing.

So has this experience renewed my interest in exercise and competition? In a word: no. But it is fun to leave the house every once in awhile.

Quote of the Day:
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else." -Will Rogers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fine, no Vancouver 2010, but what about Winter Olympics 2014? Go Ellen! Go Ellen! USA! USA!

Funkmeister said...

i want to be on the team!!! lets go practice