Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Runnin' Down a Dream

It's no secret that I am a huge fan of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. So it's a safe assumption that my review of Peter Bogdonovich's 240-minute documentary, "Runnin' Down a Dream" about the band's 30-year history is going to be a bit biased. Here we go...

I have been eagerly anticipating this documentary since last summer. Although it comes out on DVD today, and will be airing on the Sundance Channel later this month, I felt compelled to see it on the big screen. It was shown last night at the Sunshine Theare and I was there.

I loved every frame of "Runnin' Down a Dream". What the band lacks in physical appearance and fashion sence is more than made up for in talent, ability, songwriting and stage presence. Part one focused on the band's roots in Gainsville, the formation of Mudcrutch and the move to LA.

Not a lot was new information, but I did learn that Tom exhibited pirate behavior more than once. He stole Ron Blair and Stan Lynch from another band. When Ron Blair left, he stole Howie Epstein from Del Shannon's band. As for songs, he kept "the Insider", written for Stevie Nicks for himself, and also Dave Stewart's "Don't Come Around Here No More". But having the best was important to Tom, and as fans, we are grateful for that.

Part two focused on 1985 to the present. After such care and detail was made to the first part, I was really surprised there was a complete omittance of the She's the One soundtrack (with the exception of a brief playing of "Angel Dream (No. 3)". That's a shame because it is a good album, and should have been recognized. Also, towards the end of the film, they show the band's live performance of Van Morrison's "Mystic Eyes". Although this is a great song, I would have preferred to see the band cover another one of his songs, "Gloria", which is one of my all-time favorite Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers performances. During the Highway Companion section, I was disappointed "Square One" was not played, as it is my favorite song.

There were so many great moments, that it's impossible to pick a favorite. I loved Dave Grohl and Eddie Vedder, two musicians I truly admire, wax so poetically about them. Seeing footage of the Heartbreakers acting as the back-up band to Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash were other highlights. I can't wait to get the DVD and watch it all over again.

Quote of the Day:
"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I'm doing" -Werner von Braun

1 comment:

John Demetry said...

Hey, I thought you might be interested in my capsule review of:
Runnin' Down A Dream. Hope it is informative for you and your readers.