Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tom Petty #10

#10 was definitely a treat. Tom was looking pretty stylin' tonight with a maroon blazer and purple shirt. And to celebrate my 10th Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers show, they played "Gloria", my absolute favorite Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover. It's been six years since I last heard that song live.

Setlist, then notes:

YOU WRECK ME
LISTEN TO HER HEART
I WON'T BACK DOWN
EVEN THE LOSERS
FACE IN THE CROWD
MARY JANE
END OF THE LINE
BAND INTRO
SAVING GRACE
FREE FALLIN’
YOU DON’T KNOW HOW IT FEELS
SWEET WILLIAM
LEARNING TO FLY
DON'T COME AROUND HERE NO MORE
REFUGEE
RUNNIN' DOWN A DREAM
GLORIA
AMERICAN GIRL

* This was my first time at the new Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. A beautiful arena. My seat was way closer to the stage than last night and cost me $30 less. Got there just in time to see Steve Winwood perform "Gimme Some Lovin'". I knew then, the show was going to be changed up a little bit.

* Gloria, Gloria, Gloria. Seriously, I almost knocked over a guy holding beer. I was so excited. I was jumping and screaming and it wasn't until a minute in that I had my digital camera with me. Got it out and was able to record the audio for most of the performance. This is the one song that hasn't been publicly released and I have not found a bootleg with it. I am so happy. Hearing Gloria was worth the price of admission alone for both shows.

* Pretty much the same setlist as last night. The show was under two hours, but it was less jamming, so I could deal.

* I really want Benmont Tench to be my friend. He is so awesome.

Let the Tom Petty withdrawl begin. I just hope I don't have to wait another two years to see them again.

Quote of the Day:
"Yes I've been your fool before / and I probably will again" -Tom Petty, "Ways to Be Wicked"

No comments: