Saturday, May 24, 2008

Billy #20

Last night I trekked to lovely Mohegan Sun to attend my 20th Billy Joel concert. Here's the setlist followed by notes:

Prelude/Angry Young Man
My Life
The Entertainer
Downeaster Alexa
Allentown
Zanzibar
New York State of Mind
Movin' Out
Keeping the Faith
Don't Ask Me Why
She's Always a Woman
Captain Jack
River of Dreams
Highway to Hell
We Didn't Start the Fire
It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
You May Be Right
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Only the Good Die Young
Piano Man

NOTES:
* This 20th show was the most disappointing. I was really excited since Mohegan Sun's arena only holds about 10,000 people and this would be the most intimate venue I have seen him in. I guess I got spoiled from all the Madison Square Garden shows, because this was largely a clunker.

* The highlight was the one-two punch of "She's Always a Woman" and "Captain Jack". It's always a treat to hear "Captain Jack" so I savored those moments.

* I saw the Child Bride watching in the wings, wearing a grey shirt and jeans. Billy was glancing at her throughout the show.

* Overall, Billy appeared to be on automatic pilot. He looked bored and just going through the motions. The show was under two hours and that included his banter and encores. He stayed at the piano for most of the show and didn't move around the stage like he usually does.

* It was definitely older crowd than concerts past, and maybe that had some kind of impact.

* I still enjoy seeing him in concert because its fun and even his worst songs ("Don't Ask Me Why") are better than a lot of other music out there. Let's hope this was an off-night and the next time will be better.





Quote of the Day:
"People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent." -Bob Dylan

No comments: