Sunday, April 08, 2007

Gen. Grant, Bagpipes and Scones

It's been some time in the making, but Cheryl and I had another installment of the Day of Fun yesterday: the Day of Fun - The Wrath of the Day of Fun.

The first stop in the Day of Fun was the New York Historical Society. After climbing many stairs to the 4th floor Henry Luce III Cultural Center, we looked at many items of not just New York, but Americana. My favorite piece was the to-size model bust of Abraham Lincoln for the Lincoln Memorial. The Luce center also had many items from colonial times and the Civil War. I particularly enjoyed the various presidential campaign buttons over the years. We then looked at original drawings of birds from the Audobon Society, before heading to the main floor. There was a special exhibit on Tiffany Lamps, especially those designed by Clara Driscoll in the early 1900s. They were all nothing less than truly spectacular. The sheer beauty and craftsmanship was overwhelming. After a short rest in the cafe, we went to the gift shop, which is honestly the best gift shop ever. Cheryl finally got her plush Gen. Grant she has been craving. In return, I bought a plush Lincoln magnet. I had to hold myself back from buying the temporary tattoos for librarians, including such messages as "I Heart the Dewey Decimal System".

After waiting what seemed like forever for the bus, we made it to Grand Central Station for the yearly Scottish festival. We weren't sure where to go, but then the lovely drones of the bagpipes guided us in the right direction. Sadly, the bagpipes were finishing up when we got there, but did get to see a demonstration of making barrels to hold whisky. I did get to see some men in kilts, but was overall disappointed in the selection. What can I say, Roddy keeps the bar high.

We were getting a little tired by this point, so we headed to the Village and to Tea and Sympathy. I guided us in the wrong direction, and we got to see a drug arrest going on. We also stopped by this awesome vintage dress shop. Tea and Sympathy was very snug. I had some scones, while Cheryl had her tea. Before we knew it, it was time to head back to the 'Boken.

All in all, the Day of Fun lived up to its name. Can't wait to do it again.

Quote of the Day:
"I am always prepared for lack of intellectual discourse. I cover television." -Lisa deMoraes, television reporter for the Washington Post

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm officially disappointed in you. How did you NOT get the tattoos??!!?

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!

Anyway I want an invitation when you and Cheryl ride the Cyclone on Coney Island. I hope that means a stop at Nathan's too.