Saturday, October 07, 2006

Breakfast With Steve

It's been a year since the New Yorker Festival where I was fortunate enough to see Steve Martin host a panel discussion about the banjo. One year later, the New Yorker Festival and Steve Martin return. I was fortunate enough to snag a ticket for Steve Martin interview New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast at the Supper Club.

I would pay to see Steve Martin read the phone book, so needless to say, I enjoyed myself very much. As a surprise to no one, Steve was as brilliant as ever and kept a flowing, interesting conversation.




The discussion ended around 11am. Seeing I was in the neighborhood, I took a hope, skip and a jump over to Christie's auction house. Ellen Barkin, who is divorcing Revlon billionaire Ron Perlman, is auctioning off her jewelry collection, which Christie's is estimating at $15 million. The jewels were jaw-dropping and beyond stunning. Diamonds upon emeralds and sapphires. Just beautiful.

I was about to walk out, when I hear this roar of applause. I walk upstairs and lo and behold, the Star Trek memoribelia auction is taking place. Not having a pass, I watch from the hallway. Right as I get there, the lot of all lots comes up for bid: the original model of the USS Enterprise used in the opening credits of the TV show. In the midst of many dressed up Trekkies were serious bidders, When the smoke cleared, the Enterprise sold for $500,000. The energy in the room was palpable -- the cheers were that of a rock concert. Really an incredible thing to witness.

Quote of the Day:
"I restore myself when I'm alone. A career is born in public; talent in privacy." -Marilyn Monroe

No comments: