Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Week in Review

Sorry for the lack of postings, my friends. It's been an interesting week...

First, my beloved computer is in the intensive care unit at Tekserve. The stupid people at the Apple store did not catch my computer's problem, which when I returned a week later, told me all my files are corrupt. Of course, I have nothing backed up, so all my files are threatening to be lost. This does not make me happy. First, because the Apple store cost me $300 unnecessary dollars. Second, I had asked the Apple store the first time around to back up my files and I was willing to spend the extra $50 to have that done. Third, not correcting the problem. Fourth, telling me nothing can be done and refer me to Tekserve. Fifth, having to spend $600 on the possibiliy, but no promises, for my data to be recovered. Bottom line, if you have an Apple computer, bypass the "genius bar" and go directly to Tekserve. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

***

Last Sunday was my favorite day of the year, Emmy Awards night. My comments:

* Conan did an excellent job hosting. The Bob Newhart running gag was hilarious.

* Yay for Jeremy Piven winning Best Supporting Actor, Comedy. I question his ascot choice, but a worthy win. Would have also been content to see Bryan Cranston take an Emmy home for his great performance as Hal in "Malcolm in the Middle", but alas, it was not meant to be.

* I'm not upset that Dave and Stephen Colbert lost the Emmy for Outstanding Individual Performance, Variety. I'm upset that they lost to BARRY MANILOW. Really? Two brilliant performers lost to the man who writes the songs? It doesn't seem right.

* Also glad to see "the Office" win for Best Comedy. Nice to see former roomates Conan O'Brien and Office Executive Producer Greg Daniels share the stage.

* John Spencer got a very nice response during the death montage. Very well deserved.

* I love Dick Clark. In terms of the industry of television, he is one of my heroes. But he needs to stop going on camera. It's just too sad. Although he looked a thousand times better than he did on New Year's Eve.

* Best dressed honors go to Felicity Huffman, Helen Mirren, Evangeline Lily, and Virginia Madsen. Worst dressed goes to Paula Abdul. It also pains me greatly to say that Candice Bergen looked horrible. Usually she is the epitome of fashion and class, but not this night.

***

It's been an emotional week for me, as Andre Agassi plays in his final US Open. I have been an Agassi fan since 1990, and he has been a mainstay on my all-time Hierarchy since.

Both his first and second round matches have been epic and dramatic. I find myself pacing and hyperventilating a lot. At least with Cal Ripken, I knew when his final game was coming and could prepare for it. With the US Open, I never know when Andre will play his last match and want so badly for him to win.

If anything, I would like to see him get to the 4th round to face Andy Roddick. It would make a great story and really have his career go full circle. Especially now with Jimmy Connors coaching Andy. Throughout this tournament, many comparisons have been made between Andre and Connors. It just seems too perfect not to happen.

I know Andre's in a lot of pain, and I hope he doesn't do any permanent damage to himself. Still, as a diehard, I want to see him win as much as I can. These matches have really been amazing and it reminds me what makes tennis such a great sport and why I watch it in the first place. Andre has much to do with me watching tennis in the first place. He's been a great ambassador for the sport, and even with him not on the tour, hope he still remains a presence.

Go Andre!!

***

On Wednesday, Cheryl and I made our triumphant return to trivia. With the help of HYP and Jared, we played 80s and 90s pop culture trivia. Naturally, we came in first. Our reward: free tickets to see the Wedding Singer on Broadway. Sadly, Constantine from American Idol is in it now, so that will be an automatic minus for the evening. Still, winning is nice.

***

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone.

Quote of the Day:
"At least I could have lost to Wolverine. He has claws for hands!" -Stephen Colbert responding to losing to Barry Manilow. Hugh Jackman, who plays Wolverine in the X-Men movies was also nominated for hosting the Tony's.

No comments: